While the new year often leads people to kickstarting healthier lifestyles and eating habits, that doesn’t mean you have to give up all the delicious foods you love! Finding healthier, cleaner recipes for favorite dishes and desserts is my #1 favorite hack for enjoying everything about your healthy lifestyle!
When it comes to dessert, are you a chocolate gal (or guy!), or do you lean towards fruity desserts? I have thought long and hard about this question, but for me, I am pretty evenly split- I really enjoy both types of dessert! It honestly depends on my mood- haha.
I was feeling kinda fruity recently, so I decided to make a blueberry turnover- but not your average blueberry toner! This one is vegan, gluten free, AND refined sugar free!
While it may not be the prettiest from the outside (gluten free flour can be a bit harder to work with haha), I can ASSURE you that this dessert is absolutely delicious! And, it is surprisingly sweet enough, despite having no serious sugar addition!
Ready to get baking?
Vegan Gluten Free Blueberry Turnovers
By: Grace // Just A Veg
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
2 cups frozen blueberries
1 Tablespoon cornstarch + 2 Tablespoons water combined
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
1 cup gluten free baking flour (1 to 1 flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill or King Arthur are great!)
1/4 cup coconut oil (solid)
1/4 teaspoon salt
coconut sugar, to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a saucepan, combine blueberries, cornstarch mixture, and maple syrup. Cook on high, bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Let boil for 1-2 minutes, then shut off and remove from heat. The blueberry mix should get sticky and resemble a pie filling!
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, salt and oil, creating a sand-like consistency. If there is leftover flour, add more oil until all of the mixture is uniform.
- Have a cup of ice water ready. Slowly add water to the mixture, combining as you go. Add water until a dough begins to form. Work with your hands to form a uniform ball.
- Cover your surface with some GF flour. spread out dough with your hands until it is roughly 1/4 inch thick. Cut in half and move onto a baking sheet.
- Once blueberry mixture is cooled, spoon it onto each of the dough halves equally. Do no spread the mixture out, but pile it up. Once you have put all the mixture on the dough, use a flat tool, like a metal spatula to fold up the edges around the blueberry mix.
- The gluten free flour has a tendency to break- this is ok, just try to keep the blueberry mix contained.
- Sprinkle the top with some raw coconut sugar and pop in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until dough is fully cooked!
- Let cool and enjoy!
These turnovers are delicious and surprisingly pretty healthy, but still taste like an indulgent treat. It’s a win-win all around!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
Grace // Just A Veg ♥