With winter on the doorstep all I want are cozy, flavorful dishes. Since so many of our favorite ‘comfort foods’ can be heavy and unhealthy, I’m here to re-create some classic dishes with a light, plant-based twist. Of course, never sacrificing flavor or taste!
These vegan stuffed peppers are one of my favorite dishes. They are super easy to make, give ya 3 whole servings of veggies, are completely gluten free, and completely vegan (don’t be deceived by the photos, it’s vegan cheese :))
I grew up eating stuffed peppers and when I was younger I actually disliked them! Now, I can’t get enough. These peppers are stuffed with a delicious rice and veggie blend spiced with cumin, thyme, and turmeric ( a golden trio if you ask me). The spices add such a warm flavor plus extra nutrients (turmeric is amazing for you! It has incredible anti-inflammatory properties).
These peppers are another great meal option if you have leftover rice you don’t know what to do with. Simply create the filling, stuff it in the peppers, and bake! Boom, dinner just got even easier.
Are you ready for the recipe?
The BEST Vegan Stuffed Peppers
By: Grace // Just A Veg
Prep Time: 30 minutes (only if you have to cook rice)
Total Time: 1 hour
2 whole red bell peppers, halved
1 1/4 cup brown rice, cooked
1 large zuchinni, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 1/2 Tablespoons minced garlic
1 Tablespoon thyme
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup your favorite vegan shredded cheese (I used Whole Foods cheddar)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place halved peppers on a baking sheet, drizzle with 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil, and top with salt and pepper. Cook for 7 minutes at 425. This will slightly soften the peppers before stuffing.
- While the peppers are cooking, heat a pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add garlic and spices, sauté for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the zuchinni and carrot and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until veggies have softened.
- Turn heat to low, add 1 Tablespoon olive oil and rice. Stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Take out peppers, and carefully stuff the peppers with the filling. You want them to be full.
- Put the peppers back into the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Take the peppers out again and add the cheese. Put them back in the oven for about 2 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- That’s it! Enjoy.
These are truly some of the most delicious stuffed peppers I have ever had. Try them out and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Have a great week!
Grace // Just A Veg ♥