With the colder weather coming up, I am definitely craving some comfort foods! However, while giving into those craving every once in a while is OK, making healthier versions of the food you love helps avoid and bloating, food guilt, and digestive issues. This healthy twist on a classic comfort food, mac n’ cheese, is TO DIE FOR. Seriously, while I tested this recipe a couple of times, I have to say this version is all the things a mac n’ cheese should be:
- not soggy
- and most importantly…tastes amazing!
On top of that, this vegan mac n’ cheese has many other benefits, it’s:
- vegan/dairy free
- gluten free
- contains hidden veggies (that you can’t taste!)
- easy to make
- nut-free (no cashew soaking!)
- gut-healthy + anti-inflammatory
- contains healthy fat
I love mixing my Mac n’ Cheese with broccoli because I think it adds dynamic and flavor! Plus an extra boost of vitamins, protein, and greeeennnss 🙂
Ok, time for the recipe!
Easy Vegan Mac N’ Cheese
By: Grace // Just A Veg
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 35 Minutes
2 servings brown rice pasta
2 cups frozen broccoli
1 cup cauliflower rice
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup onion
2 tablespoons avocado oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup dairy free cheddar or mozzarella- my preferred brands are So Delicious or Whole Foods Brand- I find they have the cleanest ingredients and are both made from coconut!
1/3 cup vegan parmesan- my favorite brand is VioLife. The ingredients are fantastic!
Note: Dairy-free cheeses can oftentimes contain additives and fillers to recreate the cheesy texture. Look to make sure you can read all of the ingredients before you buy!
- Cook brown rice pasta according to package. In the last few minutes, add broccoli and steams until tender
- In a different pot, steam 1 cup of cauliflower rice (I buy mine frozen) until tender. Strain.
- In a pan, sauté onion and garlic in avocado oil until onions are browned and translucent
- In a blender, combine steamed cauliflower rice, sautéed onion and garlic, almond milk, and salt and pepper to taste. Blend until smooth
- Add the sauce back into the pot. Add the cheese and cook on low until the cheese has melted in.
- Add the pasta and broccoli into the cheese sauce. Mix, adding more salt and pepper if necessary
- Scoop and Enjoy!
I hope you all love this recipe! I think it is perfect for the cool and crisp fall weather. Let me know what you think in the comments below!
Grace // Just A Veg ♥