With Fall in full swing, we are all craving those comfort foods, the warm spices, and allllll the long-awaited fall flavors. While it’s ok to transition your diet to more warming, slightly more filling foods towards the winter months, it’s extremely important to not simply lose control and go all out from now until the New Year. Having delicious, healthy, and filling recipes like this quinoa salad can help you reach your goals while still enjoying your food!
Before this recipe quinoa salad had always been a light, refreshing summer side dish. I found with the hearty ingredients in this quinoa salad and the added healthy fats, it is more filling and satisfying. I like to serve it warm, as it adds to the fall ‘vibe’ and tastes amazing, but it can definitely be served cold as well!
I love this salad for so many reasons, like
- it is super satisfying
- it can be served alone or as a side and still tastes good
- it’s super easy to make
- it’s gluten free
- it can be made vegan
- it’s nut free
- it is dang delicious!
Are you ready for the recipe?
Autumn Quinoa Salad with Squash and Cranberries
By: Grace // Just A Veg
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 Minutes
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1-2 cups of butternut squash, cubed (I used frozen as it is quicker. If you use a fresh butternut squash the cook time will be longer)
1 medium onion, sliced
1/2 cup craisins
1/2 cup pepitas
1/4 cup hemp seeds
2 Tablespoons garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup honey (sub maple syrup to be made vegan)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon tumeric
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare squash (cube).
- Cook 1 cup of quinoa according to package. While you are waiting, dress squash with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast until soft (frozen 15-20 minutes, fresh 45 minutes to 1 hour)
- While everything is cooking, slice onion and sauté with garlic in a pan on medium high until browned and caramelized.
- Add cooked quinoa, onions, and cooked squash to a large bowl. Add remaining salad ingredients.
- Mix dressing ingredients, pour over salad
- Serve immedietely and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Let me know what you think in the comments below. 🙂
Have a great week!
Grace // Just A Veg ♥