I love me a good Mexican bowl. So, I created this twist on a traditional ‘taco meat’ with tempeh! It’s super high in protein, the perfect balance of spicy, and great for meal prepping! It is also very customizable; you can build off of it in any way you want!
You could make it
- a taco
- a burrito
- a burrito bowl
- put it on a salad
- eat it plain or with chips
- eat it in a lettuce wrap
The possibilities are endless!
This recipe is very simple (can you tell I love quick and easy meals?) and can be prepped and stored in the fridge for 4-5 days. It’s super delicious and good for ya too!
Are you ready to delve into the recipe?
Mexican Tempeh Scramble
By: Grace // Just A Veg
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 35 Minutes
4 Tablespoons water
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
pinch of cayenne (can be eliminated for less spice)
1 package of tempeh
1 1/3 cup pinto beans (or your favorite beans)
1 medium carrot, chopped
1/4 cup water
4 Tablespoons spicy chili seasoning or your favorite taco seasoning
2 Tablespoons minced onion
1.5 Tablespoons minced garlic
Tomatoes and avocado for garnish
- Roughly slice tempeh
- Mix marinade ingredients and marinate tempeh for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, sauté the carrot, onion, and garlic in avocado oil.
- Once browned, add the beans and warm. Move this mixture over to one side of the pan
- Add more avocado oil to the pan and add marinated tempeh. Cook on one side for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Flip and repeat. Once cooked, use the spatula to crumble the tempeh into a ‘taco meat’ texture.
- Combine the tempeh and veggies, and add the water and spicy chili seasoning. Cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- You are done! Add salt and pepper to taste, and cut any spice by adding lemon or lime juice. Garnish with tomato and avocado and eat immediately or prep for later!
It’s that easy! Let me know if you make this recipe and if you enjoy it!
Grace // Just A Veg ♥