All right- I’m back with a recipe of one of the world’s favorite foods- tacos!
The thing I love most about tacos are that they are so customizable. Whether you eat meat or don’t, are vegan/paleo/high protein etc,, you can make tacos work for you. As long as you fill them with the good stuff, like the veg and healthy fats, than they are really good for you as well!
Here are the building blocks to a perfect taco:
- veggies and/or protein (beans, potatoes or other legumes)
- Some sort of salad or slaw (gives some crunch and acidity)
- something creamy (healthy fat, like avocado or tahini sauce, or even some vegan cheese)
Here, I will share a recipe for a spicy veggie taco with red cabbage slaw and avocado, but stay tuned- I will give some other ideas on how to stuff your tacos at the end!
I prefer soft shell tacos, but of course these will work with hard shell or even bowl-style if you like 🙂
Ok, here is the recipe
Customizable Vegan Tacos
by: Grace // Just A Veg
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Makes 4 sizable tacos, serves 2
4 taco shells (hard or soft)
1 medium sized onion
1/2 large zuchinni
1/2 red bell pepper
2 small carrots
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 tablespoon avocado oil
pinch of cayenne
1 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper
1 cup shredded red cabbage
1 cup chopped spinach
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons lime juice
salt and pepper
First, You will want to make the slaw so that it can marinate while you are cooking. To make it, simply add all of the ingredients into a bowl, mix until cabbage and spinach are covered in dressing, and let sit.
- heat pan with oil. Add onions and garlic. Sautee until soft .
- Add the rest of your veggies and spices. Sautee for 5-7 minutes or until soft (but not mushy!
Next, you will want to prepare your garnishes and heat up your taco shell. Then, assemble!
The last step is to EAT! These are so easy and super filling, not to mention delicious. Let me know if you like them!
Here are some other ideas for fillings/slaw combos:
- potatoes, peppers, black beans, and onions with a massaged kale salad
- chickpeas, onions, diced tomatoes, Indian spice, and coco cream filling with sautéed spinach
- hummus, sautéed chickpeas and peppers, tomatoes, vegan Greek salad, Kalamata olives
Enjoy! Let me know what tacos you will be making 🙂
Grace // Just A Veg ♥