Hello! I am back at you with another pumpkin recipe! For some reason I missed the wave of pumpkin frenzy in the fall and now I’m just starting to experiment haha.
Anyway, as a super busy student and piano teacher, I don’t have too much time to prepare meals. And sometimes, especially on really cold days, I don’t want a meal prep salad or cold smoothie. This 20 minute pasta dish is perfect! It’s creamy, (can be) a bit spicy, and doesn’t taste too much like pumpkin (think more like a vegan alfredo). Plus, it’s gluten free (can be made normal but GF usually digests better), under 10 ingredients, and can be meal prepped! I would say if you meal prep it make sure to keep the sauce and pasta SEPARATE that way it doesn’t get soggy in the fridge 🙂
OK, now onto the recipe!
20 Minute Vegan Pumpkin Pasta
by: Grace // Just A Veg
Total time: 20 minutes
1 Package gluten free pasta (I really like the brand Lundberg– their brown rice pasta isn’t too dense or gummy!) Also, I got it on sale hehe 🙂
1.5 cups pumpkin puree
3/4 unsweetened plant-based milk (I love Oatly or any oat milk, I think it’s one of the creamiest plant based milk options!)
1 yellow onion, diced
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon basil or sage (your choice, depending on your taste preference)
drizzle of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
red pepper flakes (optional, I like it a little spicy but if you don’t like spicy simply omit)
hemp seeds (for garnish) ;
vegan parmesan (optional, but I love Violife parm too much 🙂 )
- Bring water for your pasta to a boil
- While the water is heating up, sauté your onion and garlic in olive oil (in a separate pan) until onion is translucent and brown
- In a blender, combine the pumpkin, oat milk, spices, and onion/garlic mix
- Blend it up! You may have to scrape the sides a couple of times. If you want a thinner sauce, simply add more milk or water. Taste it to see what spices it needs.
- Finish cooking your pasta, drain, and put back in the pot. Add the sauce to the pasta (keep separate if meal prepping) and cook on low for 1-2 minutes or until everything is warm.
- Serve, topped with hemp seeds, more red pepper flakes, and vegan parm.
- Enjoy!Let me know How you like this recipe and if you want more easy meal ideas like this one!
I hope you have a fantastic last week of January!!!