Hello! It’s the WEEKEND!!! I am super excited for this weekend- resting, reading, and spending time with family. In the cold weather up here in New England I was inspired to create a warm, spicy dish that had ALL the flavor, ALL the nutrition, and ALL the comfort feels. So, here it is! These Indian lettuce wraps are extremely versatile and can basically be made any flavor depending on what spices you decide to use. I will show you the Indian recipe, but below I will put a few variations to make different flavors!
Lettuce wraps have always been a favorite, even when I was not a vegan. But these wraps are vegan, gluten free, soy free, nut free, and GMO free! (I think I got all of the food allergens-lol). They are super filling, flavorful, and the perfect fuel for your day! They are a perfect meal and can easily be meal-prepped, (how I make them) that way you can have them in front of you in only 15 minutes!
So, if you are meal prepping, this is what you need to prep:
Time ~ 1 hour Cook Time ~45 minutes
- Cook 1 cup brown rice
- Have a can of chickpeas rinsed
- chop some red onion and carrots
That’s it! So, here is the recipe:
Time (w/ meal prep) ~ 15 minutes (w/o meal prep) ~1hr 15 min (cook time ~45 minutes)
Yield: 5 servings, or 15 wraps
1 cup brown rice, uncooked
1 normal can chickpeas, rinsed
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/4 cup chopped roasted red pepper
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons garlic powder or 1 minced clove
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 heads of romaine lettuce
1/2 cup chopped tomato
1 avocado (optional)
- Cook rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil. Add carrots, onion, turmeric, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are soft
- Add the rinsed chickpeas to the pan with the roasted red pepper. Sautee on medium heat until chickpeas are soft but not mushy
- Add rice to the pan and mix together. Add more spices if desired.
- Wash lettuce and cut the head of lettuce off so that you can break open the leaves to form your wraps
- scoop the rice and bean mix into your lettuce wraps and top with tomato and avocado.
- That’s it! super easy! Enjoy!
for Mexican- instead of turmeric and garlic, replace with chili powder and taco seasoning. Top with salsa, avocado, and vegan sour cream
For Mediterranean- replace turmeric with coriander and top with tomato, Kalamata olives, parsley, and a fresh squeeze of lemon
So, it’s super easy, healthy, can be prepped, and all together just incredible! My sister loved these so much she ate the rest of mine haha. Let me know if you try these out, or if you think up of any different flavor variations! Enjoy!